25 Symbols of Christmas Which are Useful for Display and Decoration
Christmas is coming soon and if you have not set up your display and decoration for the Season, and until now you have not decided what to use to beautify your store, office or home, this post aims to assist you.
Now, get your pen and a piece of paper then start choosing from the list which item you are going to use.
The items are listed in an alphabetical order.
1. Angels in an inevitable part of Christmas since in Christian teaching, they the messenger of God. The angels were become part of the story from conception to birth of Jesus Christ. However, figure of angels are not allowed to be used in non-Christian countries.
2. Belen is a tableau depicting the birth of Jesus. The whole set consists the figure of the baby Jesus, Mary, Joseph, the Three Kings, Angles, the barn, animals in the barn and the star which guided the Three Kings. The same with Angels, Belen is also not used in non-Christian countries.
3. Bell is associated with Christmas because of the Christmas mass and the bell on the sleigh. The most common colors of bells used for Christmas are gold and silver.
4. Candle symbolizes light, and Christians believes that Jesus was born to become the light of those who are in darkness.
5. Candies are what children love, and during the Season, candies are expected by kids.
6. Cathedral (Church) is where people go for a Christmas mass (of course ^_^).
7. Christmas Ball is also one of the well known symbols for the Holiday. It comes im various colors, sizes, materials and designs and is often use to adorn a Christmas Tree.
8. Christmas Card is indeed an icon of the Season. Even in digital age where e-cards are available to be sent cheaper and quicker, the printed forma in still playing its role.
9. Christmas Lantern or commonly known in Philippines as ‘Parol’ serves like ‘tanglong’ during Chinese New Year.
10. Christmas Lights are tiny lights that are used as decoration. The LED Christmas lights are now commonly used because it save more electricity compare to the traditional one.
11. Christmas Tree is perhaps the most well known symbol of the Season. Some people call it ‘Holiday bush’. Christmas trees nowadays are also made from different materials and styles, ranging from native looks to a modern touch.
12. Christmas Wreaths are often seen on the door or window. They are often made from evergreens and red berries and symbolize strength, as evergreens last even throughout the harshest winters.
13. Gift is also a Christmas icon because this Season is known to be the ‘time of giving’ as God give His Son to the world — the also Three Kings offer gifts to Jesus.
14. Poinsettia has become a symbol of Christmas because it a flower that blossom during this Season. According to a tale, the poinsettia’s association with Christmas began in 16th century in Mexico, where legend tells of a young girl who was too poor to provide a gift for the celebration of Jesus’ birthday.
15. Red Berries is one of the plants that are popular in December. It has red fruits with dark green leaves.
16. Red and Green Checkered or Stripes bring more Christmas feeling compared to blue and white colors. However, white and blue are used when the theme is ‘White Christmas”.
17. Reindeer and Sleigh is what Santa Clause uses to deliver the gifts to every child during Christmas. Though this is just a fantasy, it become popular to kids and kids by heart.
18. Ribbons are use to tie gifts but it also become one of the decorative stuff in Christmas. Red, green and gold ribbons are more popular elements of Christmas Tree.
19. Santa Claus is also known as St. Nicholas. The name used by mothers to fool their little children during Christmas when they say, “Baby, hang your socks on the wall then Santa will put your gift into it tonight.” Have you experience that? ^_^
20. Santa’s Hood is used as part of a costume during Christmas party, but aside from this purpose, it can also be use as decoration.
21. Snowflakes have many different shapes, from classic to exaggerated formations. In fact, you can download some snowflakes silhouette and pattern from this blog.
22. Snowman can be out of Styrofoam or paper if you are living in countries where there is no winter. For more ideas on about White Christmas, you mar read this post: Store Window Display Ideas for a White Christmas.
23. Socks is where moms put their gifts for their kids (and tell their kids the gifts came from Santa). This is the thing I haven’t experience when I was a child. ^_^
24. Star is what guided The Three Kings to the place at Bethlehem where Jesus was born according the story. It is also the icon that is often seen on the top of a Christmas tree.
25. Winter Clothes are popularized by western countries with winter happens. The scarf, gloves and cap are the items that are commonly used as decorative stuff.
Finally, the 25 items are completed. I know that are more symbols of Christmas which I have not included on the list. If you remember any of them, feel free to add it as comment.
Thank you for reading.
- Knit a tiny Vintage Santa to decorate the christmas tree (vintagevisage.typepad.com)
- War on Christmas (aphilosopher.wordpress.com)
- Keeping Christmas Neutral-Tips for Holiday Advertising (vicscape.com)
- Elements of a Filipino Christmas (rappler.com)
- Christmas Tree Elegance Lights Up Spokane (khq.com)